Monday, February 8, 2010

Kolya was very sweet today, really happy that I didn't leave with David and Tyler (clearly relieved).  I did warn him, though, that I may have to leave anyway, and come back to get him.  I love that he loves cuddling!  David and Tyler have been stuck in D.C. since yesterday because of cancelled flights.  They are supposed to get on one today at 2:45 p.m., provided it is not also cancelled.

Now, where was I?  Each apartment we've had (on #3, now) has had a washer, fridge, microwave, stove, hot water pot, iron, ironing board, kitchenette, cabinet in which to place clothing or bags, television, and internet service.  The efficiency apartment I'm in now has no hair dryer, but the other 2 had them.  The apartment buildings are very old and run-down, but the apartments themselves have been renovated and look quite nice.  The second apartment even had heated kitchen and bathroom floors.

Keep in mind that I am not in the same little town as the orphanage.  If one stays there, then things may not be quite as nice.  We have yet to lose power or hot water (except when taking too long a shower).  The water in these buildings is shut off after 11 p.m or midnight, and comes back on around 5 a.m.  One of the apartments had "emergency" bottles of water for flushing when desperate in the night.  We didn't need them.  Toilet paper can be purchased in the grocery store.  There is no need to bring more than you might need on train rides, or in restaurants, or at the orphanage; and you could just as well bring travel kleenex packs for that purpose.  Definitely DO bring yourself some ziplocs of various sizes, and some antibacterial hand cleaner.  Kitchen and bath cleaner for wiping down counters and tables (like 409) is available at the grocery, as are laundry detergent and dishwashing liquid. 

I may have mentioned this previously, don't remember, but I visit Kolya Monday through Saturday after school and nap time.  Yes, the kids his age (11 y.o., 4th grade) are still put down for naps.  School lasts until around 1:00, and they are up and about again around 3.  I leave the apartment at 2:30 to be there by 3:00, and go to the main building.  Someone there (usually a girl who hangs out by the front door doing needlepoint) asks who I need, and she goes to get him. If she's not there, then I go to the secretary's office and ask for him, and she sends a kid to go get Kolya. 

When Kolya comes over from his building, we go to a big room upstairs to hang out and look at each other. ha!  Yes, it's actually a little bit boring sometimes, because all there is to do is what I bring for us to do.  You can drift on upstairs to watch the big guys play basketball in the gym, but there's really nowhere to sit, so you're just peeking in through the already-crowded door.  Kolya LOVES to play with Tyler's Didj, which Tyler graciously left me for him.  And of course he loves to play games on my phone.  I brought Bunco, and a deck of cards, a couple of Transformers, a couple of little cars, sticky-wickys, and drawing materials, too.  Maybe the younger kids like action figure-type toys, but Kolya's not much into pretend play.  Once he puts together some Lego toy or Bionicle, he doesn't play with it any more, like my 8 year old does. For an older kid, I don't know if I would take up much space with these.  I hold back on what I bring so that there's something new every couple of days, or so.  I stay until around 4-4:15, because the sun starts going down fast at that time, and Kolya still has homework to do after I leave.

As for snacks, I was glad I brought Kashi granola bars and a jar of peanut butter.  Jelly is easy to get here, not peanut butter.  Very tasty and fresh bread is available.  I bought each of us a Maglite mini flashlight.  They can come in handy when you don't want to disturb everybody staying in the same room with you.  Also, we brought a very small Coleman flashlight that stands without being held - good for trips to the bathroom at night.

The train ride can be interesting.  First class sleeper cars are not always available, and were $90 per person.  Those sleep 2.  Second class sleeps 4, and there may be strangers in the cabin with you.  Advice:  buy all 4 beds!  It's not that expensive, about $22.50 per bed.  The bathroom is absolutely disgusting.  Do everything you can to avoid having to use it - ha!  Translator will stay with you.  In fact, we didn't realize she was going to, but she stayed with us in the apartment.  That came in handy when I had to wake her at 5:00 in the morning to call a doctor. 

David read 3 paperbacks while here, and watched most of Season 1 of "24" which I had downloaded from iTunes.  Of course, much of that reading took place while lying around in the hospital for a week.  Bring chargers for all your electronic stuff, and cable to upload your digital pics to your laptop.  I have a headset/microphone for using with Skype and also for the Rosetta Stone English that I installed on the laptop so that Kolya can get started after I get him from the orphanage.  Check the power cords for your electronic items.  No power converter is needed for my laptop, my phone, nor my iPod wall charger.  I bought a surge protector that is also a European plug adapter that has worked for each of these items (bought from Magellan's- not cheap, but worth it in my opinion).  I have a converter for my hair dryer and curling iron, but check yours - many are dual-powered and should work with just an adapter.

It's 10:00 p.m., now, and I'm tired of thinking, so I'm going to watch a little "24" and go to sleep, after I get that load out of the washer, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.