I watched the sun setting from my 13th-floor apartment this evening after David and Tyler left to catch the 4:50 p.m. train. A bright orange burst of God's glorious creation, with the sky all around streaked with hues of blue, purple, orange, yellow, and yet another shade of blue. It set first behind the taller buildings, then passed across the sky, falling behind even the shorter ones, until it finally disappeared, leaving just smears of blending colors against the darkening sky. From this window it is possible to see snow-covered hills in the distance, beyond the city. The cities and towns here seem to be placed deliberately in valleys, between the surrounding hills. I can see roads going over the hills, lined by trees on either side. The temperature rose above freezing briefly today, I presume, since icy patches had melted on the sidewalk and streets. They should be frozen again by now.
It's 7:30 p.m. and I am faced with my first night completely alone here in this country. It's quiet here in the apartment, except for sounds coming from neighboring apartments, and the hum of my laptop. The atmosphere begs for quiet time alone with God. But, alas, my parents have discovered FACEBOOK! lol! Mama finally figured out how to "chat," so we were able to say a few words. She and Daddy are busy people.
David sent a text message that they had a nice dinner on the train. They brought instant soup, cheese bread, and fresh fruit with them, and Tyler ordered hot tea. It's a 17 or 18 hour ride to the capital. They arrive somewhere around 8 a.m. tomorrow, then their flight is at 2:05. They will have a few hours of layover in Frankfurt. Arrival in D.C. is at 8:00 p.m. local time, then the flight out to New Orleans is at 10, to arrive at midnight. Hoping there's a bar or restaurant in D.C. where they can catch the end of the game! I don't know if they'll catch any of it, once they can finally get through customs. I plan to watch on NFL.com.
I am moving to a smaller apartment tomorrow morning before church. Church is at 11, so I should have time to get that done. Last week, with Tyler and me there, everything ran really late, and we didn't leave there until after 1:15, or so. We caused an uproar, being Americans, and all.
I'm already getting sleepy. It's 9:00 p.m, though, so I guess I should be. I need to pack my kitchen stuff for my move, now. Then it's off to bed to watch another episode of "24 - Season 1" on my iPod.
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.