Monday, February 15, 2010

David's Train Tips

David typed up a list of tips for the train ride to/from the capital:

"I could not find my original hand written list that I protected for days , so I'm making another one. Things you may need on the train.
#1 Soup mix, many flavors, comes with a spoon and croutons. [in a cup, purchased from the grocery store]You can get boiling hot water to make your soup from the conductor, he will also make tea and coffee.
#2 Bring french bread to eat with your soup and to eat for breakfast. A light breakfast will be fine. We had bananas and breakfast bars. Breakfast can be light on the trip home because you get in around 8 am [on the trip from region to capital, going the other way, you arrive around 10 a.m.] and can go to Macdonald's [only in the capital]  for some real food. [LOL]
#3 House shoes because they are easy on and off in the dark and you will need them to go to the toilet.
#4 Ipod or laptop with movies, fully charged!  Books won't be of much use if the cabin lights don't work.
#5 Flash light.
 #6 Sleep mask and ear plugs.
#7 Motion sickness meds. just in case.
#8 Buy all 4 beds so you won't have to share with a snoring stranger! Oh also buy your tickets a few days before your travel date because the trains do fill up.If they tell you the train is booked, try first class or offer to pay extra if a second class cabin " happens to open up"
#9 Bring small bottles of hand sanitizer from home
#10 If you brought a product like Ambien, take it around 9pm don't wait until you have frustrated yourself trying to fall asleep naturally. The conductor will wake you up 1 hour before your arrival.
#11 Bring a liter of water plus a 12 oz bottle per person that way you won't need to buy it on the train.
#12 I visited the food car and had fun with the workers there. The food there looked good to me but our interpreter said that she would not eat it! I'm not going back again but if I did I would eat it!
#13 Travel light! There are Places to put your bags but once put away it is a hassle to get to them,
# 14 Think ahead very deliberately and pack your back pack with everything that you will need until you get to your region or back to the capital on the way home.
#15 The cabin will have clean sheets,pillow case and a wool blanket. Our cabin was always too warm. I even piled all of our coats on top of the heater to block some of the heat and it worked"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.