We made it! We left Tuesday at 12:45 p.m., went to Washington Dulles, then Munich (8 hour flight), and finally arrived here in the city on Wednesday at 4:35.p.m. Of course, we are 9 hours ahead, here. It is cooold here. It was 12 below last night when we were at the grocery store. weather.com lied -- it was colder than they said it would be. Where we're going this weekend it is currently snowing heavily, supposed to continue snowing heavily, and be 25 below zero - yikes! I just hope it doesn't keep trains from coming to town.
We had our appointment at the SDA today at 11. They showed us Kolya's file, which had two pictures of him. In one, he looked to be about 6 years old, and the other was from about age 8. What a cutie! Our appointment lasted just about 15-20 minutes, and we return there tomorrow at 3:00 to get our permission to go to the orphanage.
Our apartment is much nicer than we expected, and is $65 per night. We did have to pay to get sheets for the hide-a-bed for Tyler but even that was only $30 total. We have wireless internet service. Too bad we can't do everything from here! We have hot water that stays hot all times of day, the power hasn't gone out at all, there are extra blankets, a microwave (no oven!), and a coffee pot. It's set up much like a motel room without room service.
We went to an underground shopping mall to have lunch today. It was nice, and Tyler finally ate some food here. It was of course a Happy Meal at McDonald's! Our facilitator ate with us, as well as a nice girl from the west coast who just adopted a little girl. They are going back to the States on Saturday.
We also went into an old (c. 1750) church to have a look. It looked very much like those in Italy, but with onion domes outside. It was designed by an Italian guy. David went out to the store late this afternoon, while Tyler and I tried to get a nap. I did fall asleep, but it wasn't exactly undisturbed. I had one dream that woke me up: we were going somewhere in a car, and we ran out of gas. It had been my responsibility to fill up the tank, and I thought I had, but evidently had not. That was it -- woke up startled.
I have to go figure out some supper that Tyler will eat, then make him take a bath. I told him we could watch a movie on the computer afterward. Time to go!
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.