Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bringing the Blog to Current

A lot has happened since last entry, but nothing too exciting other than CHRISTMAS!  Nick was of course thrilled about EVERYTHING.  I then had to drop the bomb that he can't expect other Christmases to be exactly like THIS one was - ha!  He understood completely, though.  When I told him next Christmas wouldn't be this big, he thought for a minute and said, "Ohhhh, because it was my first Rizma Christmas?"  I told him, yes, and he added, "And my first Happy Birthday, and my first Halloween, and my first Thanksgiving?"  Yes, son, I'm afraid so... 

While out driving around looking at Christmas lights, Nick kept saying, "I can't wait for it Rizma Christmas!"  and "It's my first Rizma Christmas!"  Tyler was truly annoyed at "Rizma Christmas" because none of us knew what in the world it was supposed to mean!  We asked him over and over, and he kept saying, "I not say Rizma Christmas, I say 'Rizma Christmas'!"  Finally, in exasperation he huffed and said, "'Ho-ho-ho, RIZMA CHRISTMAS!'"  We all laughed and said, "OHHH - RIZMA Christmas!  We thought you were saying RIZMA Christmas!  NOW we understand."  lol

Lane came to see his Nana for a week over New Year's!  Oh, and my girls were both down for a week over New Year's, too!  ha!  How cool is that?!!!  They are both doing great.  We hosted our New Year's blast with our family/friends, and just had a wonderful time and visit with everyone.  I love and miss my family so much!  Julie's getting Lane's birthday party in order, and I can't wait for it (and to see everybody) - it's next weekend - wow!  Lane's already going to be a year old!

The school has gotten Nick another tutor who fills in the 2 days a week that he didn't have one.  His school day is now like this:  ESL for 2 hours in the mornings; computer class; reading/social studies; math/science.  He is pulled out of social studies or science/math for one hour a day with a tutor.  They help him with reading and spelling, and occasionally science.  Frankly, I think he should just automatically skip social studies every day and learn the 3R's, but that's just me.  The school is soooo concerned with test scores that they think it's time for him to start learning social studies.  Oh, yeah -- like he will do anything on a standardized test in SS!  They actually sent home a study guide for him a couple of weeks ago and thought he should learn some of the terminology.  I circled in red all the words he didn't know, yet, and they got the idea.  I just don't have any more time at home to spend with him than I already do!  He is up late (after 8) every night just trying to keep up with math, science, and reading.  He has far too much remediation to do for them to start dumping more subjects on him to do at home just to try and improve the school's test scores.  I've already taken him out of weekday tennis and soccer -- he just doesn't have time for them.

Tyler's out of school this week with a stomach virus. :o(  Every time he eats, his stomach starts cramping, and you can guess the rest.  I've gotten very little accomplished this week with him home with me...

Nick and his friend, Dima, from his orphanage.  Dima was hosted for a 2nd time by friends of ours.

Nick and his friend, Ilya, from Russia (at Bass Pro)

 My amazing and beautiful grandson, Lane!
My amazing and beautiful family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.